Are you a highly motivated and aspiring professional with 1-3 years of experience in the retail industry, eager to embark on a rewarding career as a merchant? If so, we have an exciting opportunity for you!
Northern Tool + Equipment is seeking a talented Assistant Merchant to drive sales and maximize profitability of assigned categories through all sales channels including internet, catalog, and retail through the execution of Merchant’s strategic vision.
- Manages the profitability and implements the strategic direction of all assigned categories including sales, adjusted landed margin dollars, adjusted landed margin rate and turn.
- Executes line review for categories including setting up skus and suppliers.
- Assists with selection and responsible for build out of direct mailer for assigned categories and accurate data entered into appropriate systems. Maximizes sales of each class through effective quarterly promotions. Partners with Merchandising Analyst on recommendations of promotional pricing, power buys, sale items and special offerings such as racetrack, direct mailer, emails, home page. Monitors performance of promotions and reports findings to category merchant team.
- Executes new product introductions on time per the project calendar. Communicates and provides clear direction to cross-functional team on strategy for all assets needed at launch including planograms, videos, images, content, promotions, signs, labor hours, and loss prevention.
- Communicates in open-to-buy meetings the changes to business and the needs that are established through current trends, forecasting the category with accuracy in order to get resources that would be needed to deliver the numbers to budget.
- Partners with Advertising, Marketing and other cross-functional partners to launch new products including sourcing, packaging and marketing. Coordinates the procurement of all required advertising content and ensures copy, images and video content are accurate through vendor portal. Paginates catalog pages according to strategy.
- Shops competitively through both instore and online research. Understands assigned categories within the major competitors including promotions, online experience and instore presentations.
- Manages communication with Retail through the Retail Operations team. Works with team to make sure Plan-To- Operate is clear, timely, and any issues that arise are communicated through that team.
- Manages online conversion for assigned categories. Communicates the gaps and works cross functionally to close gaps in a timely manner.
- Participates in requesting and utilizing multi-channel vendor marketing funds.
- Assists Merchant with creating multi-year strategic road map for assigned categories.
What you will bring to the table:
- Bachelor’s degree preferred with focus on business, economics, finance or related field
- 1+ year experience in merchandising, marketing, retail or related field preferred
- Strong computer knowledge MS Office Suite; strong Excel preferred and PowerBI a plus
- Strong organizational and prioritization skills are required
- Ability to keep multiple projects on schedule simultaneously
- Strong decision-making ability
- Ability to work accurately with numbers and details
- Ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing
- Strong interest in Merchandising and hardline product categories
- Ability to travel occasionally
- Demonstrates Northern Tool + Equipment’s 12 Core Competencies
At Northern Tool + Equipment we’ve created a problem-solver’s paradise. A place where both pros who need the perfect tool to expertly finish the job, and do-it-yourselfers, who are looking for the right tool along with a bit of guidance, feel right at home. Our blueprint for success is Made for This. We’re poised to create a world-class customer experience while we strive to enter new markets and drive growth through exceptional customer insight. The plan is well on its way to resounding success, with over 130 retail stores across 24 states, plus a selection of products from the top national brands, and the addition of global manufacturing operations designed to create our own specialized tools and equipment. We’ve always had a way of either seeing what’s next, or defining it, but we need great people to grow along with us. We're looking for people who have the mindset of putting the customer first; team members who are ready to equip every problem solver who walks through our doors with the right tools and advice to tackle the tough jobs well; and individuals who are ready to help us boldly build what’s next.
Recently recognized by Forbes as a Top Midsize Employer in 2023, we proudly offer:
• A comprehensive benefits package to cover healthcare, retirement, and wellness programs to help you be your best self financially and physically.
• Generous Employee Discount on the products we sell.
• Daily Pay: Have the flexibility to be paid daily!
• 401K with employer match
• Holidays off NTE recognizes 7 federal holidays.
• Hybrid work schedule.